Friday, March 14, 2008

The Unadulterated K2 ZED DS



Here is my recently purchased base for my future electric bicycle. It's a K2 ZED DS 21 speed low-end type bicycle. I had in mind a full suspension from the start, as I plan to use this bicycle as a commuting vehicle and would like it to be as comfortable a ride as possible. It cost a bit more than I had planned to pay for the base, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a Mongoose after looking at them in person. This one also came in multiple sizes, so I think it fits me a bit better. I also liked that it looks more like a "normal" bicycle, as I don't care for the aesthetics of the Y type frame.

The frame is aluminum and the rear suspension arm unit is steel. The rear dropouts appear to be nice and sturdy for the electric motor torque, as this will be a rear wheel drive bike.

It does not have disc brakes, which I thought I might need. However, the disc brakes that come on the low-end bikes do not appear to be much of an improvement over v-brakes. I may upgrade the front wheel to a disc in the future if it turns out to be a necessity.

No comments: