Friday, May 9, 2008

A Home for a Battery: The Case

Since my LiFePo4 battery is made up of what are known as prismatic cells, essentially foil packets which are bound together with duct tape, sturdy protection is essential. I chose to go with a pre-made plastic case designed to protect sensitive instruments rather than make my own, as this seemed the easiest route to ensure waterproofness. The case is by Pelican and is the 1300 size. This model of case seems to fit the battery perfectly, but note that Ping can make your battery into any shape or size you want if you ask. I used a waterproof cable gland to make the transition through the wall for the power cable. I used the connector provided with the charger to charge separately. A highly recommend getting a crimper designed specifically to crimp the Anderson Powerpole connector, as this provides a perfect, professional crimp every time. Though it cost nearly $50, I think this is worth it for the ease of use alone, not to mention reliable connections.

No comments: