Thursday, May 22, 2008

Installation: Making it all Fit

While waiting for the new charger I've installed the rest of the electric components on the K2. Most of this work was fairly straightforward and quick. I found velcro ties to be the best wire securing device, as they are easily moved and will not pinch the wire like a zip tie might. As expected, the axle of the motor was slightly too wide for the dropouts on my bike. I mostly just needed to sand down a little beyond the thickness of the paint inside the dropouts to arrive at a smooth but snug fit. The only issue I've found is that when shifted to the tallest gear, the derailleur hits the motor case side. I don't really plan to use this gear much, if at all, so for the time being I will leave it as-is. If I wish to fix it ebikes.ca said they will send me an additional spacer.
I had originally thought that I would place the controller inside a waterproof pannier as I plan to use the bike in all weather conditions, and the controller is not waterproof. On further thought this did not seem like a good idea as the controller needs to dissipate a significant amount of heat. I ended up mounting it to the side of the rear rack with the cables exiting downward (with a drip loop). I also dismantled and applied silicone to the joints of the controller, as recommended by ebikes.ca.

No comments: